The Portobello Avocado Burger [Gluten Free & Vegan]
Say helloooooooo to this burger from heaven!
You are going to love this light, rich, flavour-filled, messy, juicy, plant-based vegan burger!
I had been meaning to test a fun, easy, healthy homemade burger recipe that is gluten free and great as a lunch or dinner option.
Well, here it is! I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did xoxo
Ingredients for the portobello buns
- 2 portobello mushrooms
- 3 tbsp tamari (gluten-free soy sauce)
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 to 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 to 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
Ingredients for the red onions
- 1 red onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Dried or fresh thyme
- Dried or fresh rosemary
- Pinch of salt
Ingredients for the sautéed spinach & soy sprouts
- 1 large handful of spinach
- 1 cup of soy sprouts
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Pinch of chili flakes (optional)
+ 1/2 avocado
Method for the portobello mushrooms
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C
- Prepare the portobello mushroom marinade: in a bowl add your 3 tbsp tamari, 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 1/2 tbsp olive oil or 1 tbsp, chopped garlic & grated ginger. Mix well.
- Using a brush coat the portobello mushrooms with the sauce, or simply dip the portobello mushrooms in your sauce bowl, ensuring the entire mushroom gets coated with the sauce
- Place your mushrooms in your baking dish, facing up and add the remainder of the sauce on top and make sure the mushrooms are resting in a pool of sauce (as seen in the image below)
- Bake @180C for 30 mins
- Check every so often to ensure all is ok!
Method for the oven baked red onions
- Prepare a baking tray topped with parchment paper
- As mentioned above, pre-heat the oven to 180C
- Peel and cut your red onion and separate the half moons as seen bellow
- Before laying down on your parchment paper, place in a bowl and drizzle 1-2 tbsp of olive oil, and sprinkle thyme, rosemary, and a pinch of salt
- Lay the red onion on the baking tray, and sprinkle some rock salt
- Place in the oven @180C along with your portobello mushrooms for 20-30mins depending how thin your half moons are
Method to sauté the spinach & soy sprouts
- In a non-stick pan, add a tsp of olive oil on medium heat
- Then add in your soy sprouts & fresh spinach
- Add a touch of black pepper & chili flakes
- Toss and sauté for about 2 mins, we don't want to overcook as we want to retain the soy sprouts' crunch
Now, to assemble the burger: Please watch the below video and don't forget to subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
You can also enjoy this burger open faced, it'll probably make it easier to eat. But if you're in the mood to go all out messy, then go for it baby!
All my love xoxo Sarah
Hope you've enjoyed this recipe!