The Cheesy & Protein-packed Buddha Bowl
Are you a fan of cheesy goodness?
Are you a fitness buff that likes to get that protein in?
Do you enjoy creamy foods?
If you've answered yes to the above, I guarantee that this buddha bowl will take you straight to cheese-fest heaven. Vegan heaven that is!
Try it, you'll thank me later :)
For this bowl, I recommend:
1. You start by making the brown rice
2. Followed by your sautéed mushrooms
3. Ending with your vegan cheese mix
4. Putting it all together :)
You'll need a store bought jar of peas, like this they are already ready, and you'll add them to your bowl at the very end, when you're putting everything together.
You'll also need 1/2 an avocado & some pumpkin, sunflower or mix of seeds.
For the vegan cheese,
Nutritional yeast is a deactivated yeast, sold in the form of flakes, yellow flakes or yellow powder. It resembles brewer's / beer yeast. It basically serves as a replacement for parmesan cheese. YUM. I bought my BRAGG Nutritional Yeast Seasoning on Amazon because I was having trouble finding it in stores in Paris.
What do you need for this heavenly vegan cheese?
- 300g silky tofu
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg (fresh or powder)
- 1/2 or 1 tsp garlic puree or 1/2 garlic clove ( 1 tsp of garlic puree if you're a garlic fan)
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp dried chives (or fresh)
Blend all the ingredients together (if you are using fresh chives, mix all ingredients except the fresh chives, then add them at the very end and pulse only).
For the mushrooms, which:
- Promote a healthy heart
- Promote a healthy digestive tract
- Can help prevent certain types of cancers
- Help boost the immune system
You will need:
- 10 button white mushrooms
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tsp dry thyme (optional)
- 1 tbsp Parsley (fresh or dry)
- 1-2 tbsp Shallots (fresh or dry)
- 1 tsp White pepper
- 1 tsp Rock salt
- Handful of spinach
- Peel the mushrooms and chop thinly
- In a non-stick pan, place on high heat with a touch of olive oil to start
- Once the pan/olive oil is hot, add in your mushrooms and mix well with salt, white pepper, dried shallots (or fresh), dried chives and dried thyme
- You can reduce the heat to avoid the mushrooms burning, but you want them to color a bit (without being burnt)
- Mix well and let it sit for 5-10 minutes and once your mushrooms look like they'll melt in your mouth, you are good to go!
- Add some fresh or dry parsley at the end once heat is off and mix
- Add fresh spinach at the end, once you've cut off the heat and simply mix in the spinach into the warm mushrooms & you'll see them gradually melt
For the brown rice,
- It is gluten-free & high in fiber… it can help prevent colon cancer
- It is rich in antioxidants… it plays the big leagues, along with blueberries, goji berries, etc.
- It is high in manganese… it helps the body synthesize fats
- It is rich is selenium… which can reduce proneness to certain illnesses such as heart disease, cancer, arthritis, etc.
- It is a low glycemic index food… it releases sugar slowly into the body, and can help reduce the risk of developing diabetes when consumed on a regular basis
- It is the star of the macrobiotic diet… which has been shown to also combat many illnesses and help restore health
Method for the brown rice,
- In a pot, on medium heat, add a little bit of olive oil
- Once the oil is warm, add your ½ cup or 50g of brown rice
- Mix the rice for 2 minutes in the olive oil to give it more taste
- Then add 2 cups of cold water
- Add a pinch of salt
- Bring to boil
- Once the water is boiling, reduce the heat to medium and make sure your water doesn’t evaporate completely/too quickly and that your rice burns
- Let it cook for about 40 mins (please check your brown rice packaging in case it indicates a different timing)
- Stir occasionally to make sure the rice doesn’t stick to the bottom of your pot
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER ( as seen in the picture above)
First, add some brown rice drizzled with a touched of olive oil, cayenne pepper, dried chives & parsley
Then, add your sautéed mushrooms
Add a huge dollop of your vegan cheese mix also (about 2-3 tbsps)
Next to it, add your 3 tbsp of your store bought peas that are ready to be consumed!
Top it all off with freshly sliced avocado & some seeds!
This is my all time favorite bowl. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did!
If you have any questions, email me at email@example.com
XOXO Love, Sarah