Sweet Potato Cheese Mushroom Toasts
This combination of sweetness, savory, crunchy & creamy will have you doing your happy dance!
Get ready for these sweet potato toasts to melt in your mouth.
Major YUM Alert!
Takes 30-40 mins to prepare
THE SWEET POTATO TARTINES
- 1 sweet potato
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Pinch of rock salt
- Peel sweet potato
- Cut the sweet potato in half length wise to be able to cut your 'toast shapes,' as seen in the image above
- Pre-heat the oven @200C
- Lay your sweet potato down on parchment paper, brushed on both sides with maple syrup and a pinch of salt
- Place on baking tray and bake for about 25-30mins (it depends how thinly you sliced them, so it could take less time or longer. Just be sure to keep an eye on them)
- Once they are tender and golden orange, you are set.
THE VEGAN CHEESE
For the vegan cheese,
Nutritional yeast is a deactivated yeast, sold in the form of flakes, yellow flakes or yellow powder. It resembles brewer's / beer yeast. It basically serves as a replacement for parmesan cheese. YUM. I bought my BRAGG Nutritional Yeast Seasoning on Amazon because I was having trouble finding it in stores in Paris.
What do you need for this heavenly vegan cheese?
- 300g silky tofu
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg (fresh or powder)
- 1/2 or 1 tsp garlic puree or 1/2 garlic clove ( 1 tsp of garlic puree if you're a garlic fan)
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp dried chives (or fresh)
Blend all the ingredients together (if you are using fresh chives, mix all ingredients except the fresh chives, then add them at the very end and pulse only).
For the mushrooms, which:
- Promote a healthy heart
- Promote a healthy digestive tract
- Can help prevent certain types of cancers
- Help boost the immune system
You will need:
- 10 button white mushrooms
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tsp dry thyme (optional)
- 1 tbsp Parsley (fresh or dry)
- 1-2 tbsp Shallots (fresh or dry)
- 1 tsp White pepper
- 1 tsp Rock salt
- Handful of spinach
- Peel the mushrooms and chop thinly
- In a non-stick pan, place on high heat with a touch of olive oil to start
- Once the pan/olive oil is hot, add in your mushrooms and mix well with salt, white pepper, dried shallots (or fresh), dried chives and dried thyme
- You can reduce the heat to avoid the mushrooms burning, but you want them to color a bit (without being burnt)
- Mix well and let it sit for 5-10 minutes and once your mushrooms look like they'll melt in your mouth, you are good to go!
- Add some fresh or dry parsley at the end once heat is off and mix
- Add fresh spinach at the end, once you've cut off the heat and simply mix in the spinach into the warm mushrooms & you'll see them gradually melt
Bon appetit my friends!!!
All my love,