Chocolate & Beetroot Energy-Truffle Balls
Truffle balls? Energy balls? Fat balls? I was not even sure what to call these little bites of heaven, so I opted for Energy-Truffle Balls.
These babies are packed with so much fiber, iron, magnesium, antioxidants, they'll leave you feeling like superwoman or superman after having indulged in one.
They are gluten-free & vegan if you use vegan dark chocolate chips. Otherwise, they are gluten-free with a touch of non-vegan; a tiny touch.
1 bowl recipe!!!
This recipe serves 3-4 people if you're a sharing kinda person, and will result in 7 large energy-truffle balls.
I used an ice cream scooper to make these, to avoid getting my hands all beetrooty-red & chocolatey.
This is such a joy promoting, feel good, iron-packed, fiber and omega rich recipe. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Beetroot & chocolate really go well together I find.
Shall we get to it? What will you need?
- 2 full tbsp raw cacao
- 2 to 3 full tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp chopped raw cashews
- 1 tbsp mix seeds (poppy seeds, lin seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds... you pick!)
- 1 small beetroot or 3/4 cup pureed beetroot
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup hemp seeds (de-shelled)
- 1/3 cup gluten-free oats (optional but recommended so that it'll hold better)
Note: if you do not have hemp seeds, you can simply use 1/2 cup of oats instead.
- For the beetroot, I would recommend doing this the night before. Wash and scrub the beetroot, then boil it with the skin until it is soft and tender for ±45 minutes (depending on the beetroot's size)
- Let it cool down, peel it and place in the fridge
- [Or, you can do it the same day of course but it will take longer to create this entire recipe
- Once your beetroot is cooked, let it cool, peel it and cut it into small pieces]
- Cut your beetroot into small pieces, place in the blender & mix until you can a puree like consistency
- Then add all of the ingredients in one bowl, as seen above, and mix well the mixture with a spoon
- Once your mixture is ready, place it in the freezer for about 40minutes so that it hardens a little and makes it easier to scoop into balls
- After 40mins, take your ice cream scooper or a spoon and make ball-like shapes
- Place back into the freezer, preferably overnight, or at least for 3 hours, and then enjoy!
I hope you enjoy making this recipe and indulging in it as much as I did xox Lots of love and if you have any questions, I am always at your disposal.