Soba noodles in a Coconut Masala Curry Sweet Potato sauce
Do you love indian spices as much as I do?
Do you love the creamy richness of coconut milk?
Do you love carbs? and noodles or pasta to be more precise?
Do you love sweet potato? my current obsession.
If you answered yes to the above, then this baby is for you.
Deliciously spice filled, transports you to Asia, and opens up your senses.
Serves 1 person
- 80g soba noodles or rice noodles or your choice of pasta
- 1/3 or 1/2 sweet potato
- 1/4 white onion
- 1 tsp garlic puree or 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp hemp seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp ginger powder (or 2 pieces fresh ginger)
- 2 tbsp masala
- 1 cup of coconut milk ( or cream, the white part at the top of the can - 250ml)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp raw pistachios
- Fresh chervil or coriander
Method for the noodles,
- In a pot, place cold water with a dash of salt and bring to boil
- Once the water is boiling, add in your soba noodles for 6 minutes exactly (that's for my organic Lima brand)
- CAREFUL! when you place the soba noodles, usually a white foam will form and build up. You need to blow on it continuously to prevent it from spilling everywhere. Keep a good eye on your pot, don't just throw in your soba noodles and leave them.
- At 6 minutes precisely, rid the pasta of the water in the pot, and place the pasta/noodles back in the pot.
- NOTE: you could substitute the soba noodles for rice noodles, which instead you dip in cold water on the side for 10minutes as you bring your water to boil, and then once the water in boiling you add the rice noodles for 5 minutes.
Method for the sauce,
- Peel and cut your white onion into small pieces
- Peel and cut your garlic cloves as well, and chop into small pieces
- For the sweet potato, peel and cut into small cubes
- Plan a non stick pot on the stove at high heat. Once it is hot, drizzle a touch of olive oil, then add in your white onion, garlic, rock salt, masala powder, fresh ginger pieces or ginger powder
- Let it sweat and stir frequently; After 2minutes, add in your sweet potato. You can lower the heat level to avoid it burning
- Once your onions, garlic and sweet potato have well absorbed the masala aromas, add in your coconut milk/cream and stir.
- Bring to boil and let it cook for about 15minutes, depending how small you cut your sweet potato cubes. Check the consistency of the sweet potato, that it is soft and tender to know it is done.
- Check the seasoning of your sauce, you may want to add a touch of salt or some more masala powder if you want the flavor to be potent.
- Remove the two large pieces of ginger (if you put fresh pieces in)
Method for marrying both noodles & sauce,
- when the noodles were cooked, you should have placed them back in the empty pot ( after you got rid of the hot water)
- Once the sweet potato masala sauce is ready, add it into the noodle pot and mix well together
- Add in your hemp seeds, pistachio pieces, chervil or fresh herbs/leaves and mix
God I love food. And I love sharing these recipes with you.
Thank you for reading.