A Lentil Lunch with sweet potato toasts, avocado & a tahini dip
What does my post-zumba Saturday lunch look like? well, let me tell you.
1️⃣ Sweet potato tartines
2️⃣Avocado topped with hemp seeds, lin seeds
3️⃣Tahini lemon dip
4️⃣Lentils with cumin, lemon, black pepper, cayenne pepper, coriander and parsley
Vitamin A packed
Healthy fats with our Monsieur Avocado over there
& a Tahini dip, because I cannot live without tahini, the most delicious sesame puree ever, that reminds me of my homes (Dubai & Beirut), aka the Middle East.
Recipe serves 1 person
(you'll have some leftover lentils but that's for another delish treat you can make for lunch the next day!)
- 1/2 cup lentils
- 4 cups water
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/3 tsp cayenne pepper
- Fresh coriander
- Fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 lemon (1/2 the juice for the lentils, and the other half with the tahini)
- 1/3 sweet potato
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 tsp hemp seeds
- 1 tsp lin seeds
- Rock salt
- Black pepper
You can substitute,
the tahini for soy yogurt
+ the hemp seeds for raw nuts such as pistachios or walnuts
+ the lin seeds for poppy seeds or sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds (or simply omit)
1. Pre-heat the oven @200C first thing
2. Once you've thrown your lentils in to boil, prep your sweet potato, then cut your fresh herbs, prep your tahini and finally your avocado.
You can do things simultaneously, rather than sequentially, makes everything speedier.
Method for the sweet potato,
- Pre-heat the oven @200C
- Peel the sweet potato, and cut length wise to make tartine shapes slices
- Place a parchment paper on a baking tray, lay down your sweet potato slices and drizzle a tsp of olive oil to simply coat the sweet potato
- Bake for 20-25mins @200C
Method for the lentils,
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C (for the sweet potato)
- In a pot, add 4 cups of cold water
- Add your 1/2 cup of lentils
- Bring to boil for about 15-20minutes (check your packaging in case it specifies differently) until the lentils are tender but not mushy
- While you're waiting, chop us your fresh parsley and coriander to have a handful ready
- Once the lentils are ready, turn off the heat, sift them and get rid of the water
- Then place them back in the warm pot that you had just used to cook then and add your 1/2 lemon juice, 2 tsps of cumin, pinch of cayenne pepper, pinch of salt & black pepper
- Add in your fresh herbs and mix all together
Lay your lentils on one side of the plate as seen in the picture above to compartmentalize (or of course you can just mix everything all together, as you wish!)
Method for the avocado,
- Carve out your 1/2 avocado, and sprinkle hemp seeds and lin seeds on it (or any substitutes you may have chosen from the options listed above)
Method for the tahini,
- Add 1 tbsp of tahini and squeeze some lemon on top to dilute it
- If you're not a tahini fan and find this too heavy or stuffy, you can add 1 tbsp of plain soy yogurt instead sprinkled with some cumin
You can enjoy this meal in so many different ways.
You can enjoy each element individually
You can have a party in your mouth and have a piece of each to enjoy all the flavors and textures
& finally, you can tartine it, using the sweet potato like a piece of bread or toast.
I hope you enjoy this wonderfully protein-packed (lentils), vitamin-rich (sweet potato), and omega3-6 / fiber generous (lin seeds) meal.
Note: Did you know lentils are rich in proteins, iron, zinc and folate? They triumph over black beans actually. Lentils have an exceptionally low glycemic index and their effect improves cardio-metabolic risk factors. Even if you eat lentils let's say today for lunch their effect can last all the way post-dinner time or till the next day breakfast.
Let me know your thoughts, I love getting feedback! thank you :)