3 Spice Butternut Squash Fries
First order of business: The 'fries' are baked of course!
I apologize if the title was misleading in any way, but at least I got you here! Ha. (Inserting the monkey covering its mouth emoticon right now would've been perfect. Love that emoticon.)
Anyhow, this simple 3 ingredient & 3 spice gluten free + vegan recipe can be applied to butternut squash or to pumpkin, seeing as they have similar flavor affinities and are often used interchangeably.
However, butternut is usually sweeter, whilst pumpkin is more fibrous.
The Flavor Thesaurus book by Niki Segnit has many interesting pumpkin + spice compellations. Check it out!
Serves: 1 person
Prep time: 10 mins
Bake time: 30 mins
Total time: 40mins
- ¼ Butternut squash
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tbsp Maple syrup
- Dash of Ginger powder
- Dash of Cinnamon
- Dash of Nutmeg
- Pinch of Rock salt
- Pimento de cayenne
- Preheat the oven to 190 Celsius or 375 Farenheit
- Remove the outer rough skin of the butternut squash, then cut the flesh into fries/rectangular shapes
- In a bowl, place your raw butternut fries and drizzle 2 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp maple syrup (make sure all the fries are seasoned)
- Then lay down the fries on a parchment paper and sprinkle your 3 spices on top to your liking (I personally really enjoy ginger so I sprinkled more ginger and cinnamon, and a little less nutmeg)
- Place in the oven, bake for ± 30mins (depending on how thinly you cut your fries). Once they are golden brown, crunchy on the outside but tender on the inside, they’re ready!
- Sprinkle a little pimento de cayenne on top, et voila!