Oven-baked Rosemary Oregano Eggplant
A little side dish never hurt nobody… (While writing this, I am actually singing to the beat of ‘a little party never killed nobody’ by Fergie for The Great Gatsby movie) Ha.
If you do not know this song, please do have a listen.
So, our main ingredient tonight is Eggplant.
When roasted, it becomes musky, earthy and develops somewhat of a ‘mushroomy’ quality. It works particularly well with salty ingredients.
Serves 1 person
Prep Time: 5-10mins
Cook Time: 20mins
Total Time: 30mins
- 1 eggplant
- Piment de Cayenne
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Olive oil
- Coconut oil (optional)
- Garlic (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven at 375 farenheit or 190 celcius
- Place thinly sliced eggplant pieces onto a backing sheet, in a backing tray
- Drizzle some olive oil [and coconut oil] to begin,
- Then sprinkle your herbs on: the oregano & basil
- Add some raw garlic pieces (optional)
- Finally, season with salt, pepper and some pimento de cayenne or chili flakes
- Place in the oven for about 20-30 mins depending how thinly sliced your pieces of eggplant were. Just until they become more tender, but with a slight crisp-like texture around the edges.
Earthy, Musky, Mushroomy, Crisp
Note: Eggplant information obtained from the book ‘The Flavor Thesaurus’ by Niki Segnit. Great book!