Tricolor Quinoa Salad & Smoked Salmon
Hello hello! Happy Saturday! Hope your weekend is off to a good start.
Usually, as you’ve probably noticed, vegetables own the stage in my posts.
However, I’ve been working on new recipes that focus more on protein (such as salmon, chicken, tofu, beans) and carbs (quinoa, polenta, rice, rice-noodles, etc). it's important to diversify.
Apparently quinoa when correctly pronounced is KEEN-WAH … I tend to say KI-NO-WA … although my pronunciation of quinoa is flawed, I think you’ll quite enjoy this recipe.
Quinoa offers multiple health benefits:
- It is gluten-free & high in protein
- It contains all nine essential amino acids
- It is high in fiber, magnesium, calcium, vitamin E, phosphorus, and antioxidants
- It is a grain … but not a cereal. It is a ‘pseudo cereal’
- It obtained ‘superfood’ status just a few years ago
- Three types of quinoa: white, red & black
Serves: 2 persons
Carrots & Parsley Prep time: 5 mins
Beetroot Cook time: 20-30 mins
Quinoa Cook time: 15mins
Total time: 30-40 mins
- 1 Lemon
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- Smoked salmon
Tip: cook the beetroot & quinoa in two separate pots at the same time
Note: If you are not a fan of beetroot, you could substitute it for zucchini or cucumber
For the beets,
- Place them in water and bring to boil (time to cook depends on the size but start checking after ±20mins). Once cooked, peel, cut into small pieces, and store in the fridge
For the quinoa,
- In a pot, add 1 cup of quinoa
- Then add 3 cups of cold water
- Add a pinch of salt
- Bring to boil
- Once the water is boiling, turn down the heat to low
- Let it cook for about 15 mins
- Stir to make sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom of your pot
For the carrot,
- Peel, cut in half, then cut the half in three
- Cut into small pieces
For the parsley,
- Chop it up, thinly
Once everything is ready, mix all elements together, add the dressing, and indulge.
Don’t forget to add the toppings!
Hearty, Carbilicious, Crunchy
Note: I Am not a certified nutritionist. Please see full article referenced here.