Can't Beet this Smoothie Bowl
With autumn, my favorite season, just around the corner, I wanted to try something out of my comfort zone.
Beetroots have a distinctive, earthy taste I find, but this recipe pairing is wonderfully balanced, tasty, and filled with vitamins and IRON for all you ‘Anemians’ out there!
Quick side note: I doubt ‘Anemians’ is a ‘real’ word … BUT, basically it is what I call friends [like me] who have Anemia, which is when your body has a decreased amount of red blood cells and doesn’t transport oxygen properly … causing a lack of iron.
Anemia usually leads you to feel weak, tired, not motivated to exercise, and can even increase thirst. (do not go diagnosing yourself now, check with your doctor if you have these symptons that persist).
Which is whyyyyyyy I think this smoothie bowl will be just the kick we need to start our day with an iron-packed, immune boosting breakfast.
Cook Time: ±25 mins
Prep Time: 25mins
Serves 1-2 persons
- 2 Beets
- 1.5 Squeezed Lemon juice
- 1 Apple or 2 minis (red for sweet, green for acidic)
- 1 cup Raspberries
- 1/2 cup water
- Piece of Ginger (depending on your personal intensity preference)
- Honey or Maple syrup (to taste if you find the smoothie too tarty)
- Raw Cashews
- The night before, place the beets in water and bring to boil (time to cook depends on the size but start checking after ±20mins). Once cooked, peel, and store in the fridge
- You can also use raw beets but it may be a little more difficult to blend
- Cut the ingredients into small pieces to make it easier on your blender
- Place all ingredients into the blender and mix well
- Add toppings and savour away!
- Can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Sweet, Acidic, Tarty, Iron-packed